Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Great Creamy Scones {Recipe}


I love baking scones.  I don't know why but I feel rather like an accomplished housewife when I pull freshly baked scones from the oven or maybe it's the endless variations you can make with scones from sweet to savory.

Here is my recipe for a proper British Scone from Elizabeth Germain from Cooks Illustrated.

Cream Scone with Currants

2 cups all purpose flour (make them healthier with whole wheat, spelt or even buckwheat flour)

3 tbsp of sugar

1 tbsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

5 tbsp of cold, unsalted butter, cut into 1/4 inch pieces

1/2 cup currants ( I like to use organic, unsulphured currants, especially if little ones like to nibble on them too!)

1 cup heavy cream

~
 1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat to 425F

2. Place flour, sugar, salt and baking powder in a large bowl, whisk together
3. Add butter to the flour mixture.  Mix until it resembles coarse meal with a few slightly larger butter lumps.

4. Add currants
5. Stir in heavy cream and until dough begins to form

6. Transfer dough to a dry, floured surface  and knead by hand so it comes to be a slightly stick ball.  Gently pat dough mixture 3/4 inch thick.
7. With a knife, cut into dough making 8 wedges

* If you'd like to have them glazed(I love them like this!), brush the scones with heavy cream and sprinkle some brown sugar on top before placing them in the oven.

8. Back until scone tops are slightly brown, 12-15min.  Cool on wire rack for at least 10 minutes.

I substituted and used white chocolate and organic, unsulphured dry blue berries.  This is beyond delish!
  •  like Ginger?  Substitute currants for 1/2 cup chopped crystallized ginger.
  • Lemon-Blueberry Scones?  add 1 tsp of grated lemon zest and 1/2 cup of frozen or fresh blueberries

2 comments:

  1. I just may have to try this receipe on the weekend! Looks Yummy!
    Cute blog! I'm now a follower.
    Cheers!
    Shelly xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shelley, this blog is much neglected but I'm working on it :)
    I'm more active on Everything Mom and Baby!

    ReplyDelete

Hey good lookin', what's cookin'?